Saturday, May 6, 2017

May 7, 2017 - Christ Knows and Loves His Sheep

View this email in your browser

Daily Prayer

May 7, 2017 - Christ Knows and Loves His Sheep

Fourth Sunday of Easter
Father Michael Sliney, LC
 
 
John 10:1-10
 
"Very truly, I tell you, anyone who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. They will not follow a stranger, but they will run from him because they do not know the voice of strangers." Jesus used this figure of speech with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them. So again Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."
 
Introductory Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you so much for your generosity and patience in being with me today. My only desire is to please you. My heart longs to be flooded with your grace so that I may fully accomplish your will in my life.
 
Petition: Lord Jesus, help me to know and love you.
 
1. Christ Knows Me: "He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out" (John 10:3). For the Jewish people, to call someone by his name was to touch his deepest identity, his inner core. For them, a name reflected who you were; your meaning as a person. Although, as human beings, we are the fruit of our parent's love, our soul was made and shaped directly by God. Christ made our souls! Christ knows our innermost selves. He knows not only our names, but he knows our thoughts, feelings, dreams and fears, and even our deepest desires. This fact should be a source of great peace and confidence in my prayer -- Christ does truly know what is going on in my heart. But this knowledge is not all. Christ also loves me.  
 
2. Christ Loves Me: Through his Incarnation, Christ  emptied himself of his heavenly glory for me! What would life be like without the Mass, without the Eucharist, without confession, without the Gospel (where we discover the path to follow), without the Church and the teachings of the Magisterium? But there was a price, a terrible and costly price for all of these benefits. Christ was asked to pour out his blood on the cross for love of me. And now, Christ turns to each one of us without exception and asks us to do the same. He asks us to be witnesses of his love in a world of darkness and despair.
 
3. Christ Offers Me Life in Abundance: By accepting Christ as my Good Shepherd I'm guaranteed to 'find pasture.' For a sheep this means sufficient food, safety from predators and peaceful relationships with other sheep. Jesus promises life in abundance for those who accept him. Obviously, this 'life in abundance' doesn't mean material wealth and success. The food, safety and peace that he promises are spiritual but no less real. Do I value what he values? Do I truly hunger for spiritual food? Or do I hanker after superficial and vain matters that could never satisfy my soul? The joy Our Lord wishes to pour into my heart can be received only if I permit my heart to be detached and emptied of whatever keeps me from him. Jesus warns us that we cannot serve two masters.
 
Conversation with Christ: Thank you Christ for reminding me of your great love and my vocation to imitate your love. Help me not to get in your way. Help me not to be afraid of  a life of generous service and self-giving to all the souls that you have entrusted to me.
 
Resolution: I will make some concrete commitment to increase both the quality and quantity of my Eucharistic life.
 
Share
Tweet
Forward
Our Daily Meditation is also available with audio:
http://www.regnumchristi.org/en/daily-meditation/

You can send your testimony to testimonies@regnumchristi.org

If you would like any further information please contact infoeng@regnumchristi.org
 

Twitter
Twitter
Facebook
Facebook
Website
Website
YouTube
YouTube
Instagram
Instagram
Pinterest
Pinterest
Blog
Blog
Copyright © 2017 Regnum Christi, All rights reserved.
You suscribed to Daily Meditations on the Regnum Christi Website at http://www.regumchristi.org/en

Our mailing address is:
Regnum Christi
Via Aurelia, 677
Roma, Roma 00165
Italy

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

No comments:

Post a Comment